MEMORIES

 MY FOOD STORY

Mama calls out to us and we surround her, jiving in ecstasy. The smiles on our faces tell you that we will soon fill our stomachs with ofe oha and pounded yam. Excitedly, we take turns jumping into the drawn squares on the ground, throwing up stones and marking imaginary houses. No day passes when we don't play this game, but today seems to be a lucky day for us.

"Nnenna, come and wash these palm nuts!" Mama instructed.

It was dusk and mama was almost done with cooking. The aroma filled the small kitchen sending saliva down our throats. As we washed our hands, we eyed mama as she served pounded yam into our clay slates. The oldest will always have the privilege of choosing first and the last is left with the smallest portion. 

"My own is small o, Mama" I complained as others sat down to devour theirs.

"I bu onye oriri!" Mama chided me while my siblings laughed.

I reluctantly sat down and stared at their big-sized portion, sulking. I had thought today was a lucky day because Mama cooked plenty. Everyone kept eating but I just sat there. 

"Nna, eat. I will give you roasted fish when you're done," Mama promised and I broke into a wide grin.

"Mama, it's not fair o. I helped to do kitchen work," Nnenna argued.

She was not ready to miss the gift of roasted fish on this auspicious day. Somto and Chidinma were already displaying a nagging body language. Everyone wanted a piece of the fish Mama roasted. It was on days like this that we ate to our satisfaction and got whatever we requested. The mood was usually a celebratory one. 

"It's okay. Everyone will get fish. Now finish up with your food so I'll know if you wanted more."

Mama's announcement cheered us up even more. The food was delicious as expected and everyone ate till our stomachs ached. 

This was our typical African family and how food brought joy in our hearts. As I lay down on my bed in Washington, I couldn't help but reminisce on the beautiful memory of Mama's food in our small hutted kitchen and the games we played around her cooking spot. It was that time of the year. Today is that auspicious day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Poetry

My Contents As a Freelance Writer

Monologue