My Dream World

 A Peek Into the Future 

It was a clear Monday morning. The sun had begun its illumination process. An Uber ride pulled up close to me. "Where are you heading, ma'am?", a robotic voice resounding from the steering asked. "Take me to Jatto Building Complex, please," I said as I quickly ducked into the still-running car. It was a few minutes before the time of my interview but I wasn't worried. There was no reason to be worried, anyway. The roads were silver-tarred and "heavy traffic" was now history. I looked out the window, and as always, I could not help but smile. It was a smile of satisfaction. My village environment has been transformed into a 'haven.' Every person had a "bot attendant" at their service. Large markets and local restaurants had been replaced by sophisticated shopping malls and restaurants that had " bot attendants" to welcome customers, who blushed at the warm reception they receive anytime they stepped in. Even at the counters, transactions were made with these "bot attendants". Glass houses had replaced thatched-roof mud houses. Life had become so easy and high-tech for everyone in Kampala.

The Uber ride was another breathtaking invention. These cars had no drivers at the steering. They were designed to run miles on the highway, propelled by robotic voice commands. Inside these rides, the feeling you get is exotic. I felt comfortable in the passenger seat. The car came to a halt as it got to a checkpoint and a "bot attendant"  in a Police Officer's uniform, scanned the car with a "car-scanner" before waving us onward. The car sped off in response to the voice command given by a robotic voice.

"Ma'am, would you like to have some tea?" a screen-robotic attendant asked me. 

"Yes, please", I answered, feeling quite thrilled at the fascinating things the car could do. 

A cup of tea was projected on the screen before me. Touching the screen, it popped out and I took it out like I was taking a cup out of a cupboard. Fantastic! My tea was hot and rich. It was a usual offer every passenger got from these thrilling automobiles. These bot attendants were even more friendly and useful than humans. Certainly, technology was everything.

"This is your destination ma'am. Have a nice day!", the cheerful voice of the robot came again. "Thank you," I said smiling, as I swiped my credit card through the POS machine installed beside the passenger's seat and my fare was immediately deducted from my bank account.

I got out of the Uber ride and strode leisurely into the office building where my interview would take place. I was not surprised when we were told that we would be interviewed by bot attendants, so we sat in the reception area and took turns going into the interview room. Soon, it was my turn. I stood up and walked briskly. 

As I turned the doorknob to go into the room, "Kwame! Where are you going to by this time of the night, are you sleepwalking again?" a voice asked. I turned to see where the voice was coming from, it was my mother. I looked around. I was about to go out of the house. I had been sleepwalking again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Poetry

My Contents As a Freelance Writer

Monologue